2019 Winter Barley survey
For all its appeal and rotational benefits, the area of winter barley across England has remained steady at around 350,000 hectares since the Fischler Reforms of 2003 broke the link between farm incomes and production. This is a dramatic fall from the 912,700 hectares sown in 1985 when subsidised prices incentivised growers to go for maximum output.
Today, there is an increasing recognition that for wheat to deliver the financial return many expect, it needs to be part of a sensible rotation. For many reasons winter barley is the perfect crop to precede winter oilseed rape, but it must do more than just play a supporting role: winter barley needs to deliver financially too.
At KWS we believe that winter barley has more to offer. Through this survey of management practices, we hope to identify the reasons why it underperforms against potential.
Click here to go to the survey. After the survey has closed the name of a participant will be drawn at random and the winner of a prize will be contacted by email or telephone.
Terms and Conditions
1. The promoter is: KWS UK Ltd (company no 1578784) whose registered office is at 56 Church Street, Thriplow, Royston, SG8 7RE.
2. Employees of KWS UK LTD or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via www.kws-uk.com/competitions
5. Closing date for entry will be 1st March 2019. After this date then no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
6. KWS UK Ltd reserves the right to withdraw this competition and/or the prize at any time without notice and at its absolute discretion. Please retain a copy of these rules for your reference.
7. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
8. KWS UK Ltd reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
9. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
10. A winner will be chosen at random from all entries received and verified by Promoter and or its agents
11. The winner will be notified by in the first instance by mobile phone on the 8th March 2019. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
12. The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected.
13. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
14. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
15. The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
16. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
17. The winner’s name will be available from the 8th March by contacting KWS UK LTD
18. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
19. *The winning prize consists of 2 tonnes of KWS Hawking winter barley seed, with 5 runner up prizes of a Bosch tool set