The Maize Value-Added Service is a top tool from myKWS
KWS Ofers you 50% discount towards the cost of re-sowing any Initio Bird Protect-treated KWS seed variety damaged by bird predation or frost in the 2021 sowing season. KWS has launched the service to underline its confidence in the product, and to provide growers with a risk-sharing opportunity.
Why are we so confident in our product?
KWS did not receive a single report of bird damage in KWS seed varieties that had received the KWS IBP treatment in 2020. Our new KWS maize seed service for re-sowing has been launched to back up our claim that the product will deter birds.
KWS Initio Bird Protect also contains zinc, manganese and humic acids, plus a phosphate mobiliser which makes the nutrient available at a soil temperature of 3 degrees C and above. The nutritional ingredients have a highly positive effect on plant growth and vigour, mainly through the promotion of healthy root formation.
Modern maize varieties are extremely vigorous and have a much greater degree of frost tolerance, compared with varieties that were available even a few years ago.
In the vast majority of cases, maize sown at the correct time will germinate without problems. Nevertheless, spring weather can be unpredictable and our service offers potential financial savings on seed costs, in the event that frost damage occurs.
As a further precaution, we would advise the use of our free, online KWS soil temperature tool. Growers can enter their farm postcode to find the current soil temperature at 10cms; the surface temperature is also shown, to indicate frost risk.
“Research has confirmed that maize requires a minimum of 8 degrees centigrade for three consecutive days for successful germination on light soils, with a figure of 12 degrees C for heavy soils.
Frequently asked questions about the Maize Seed Service
- To report damage, log in to myKWS and then call up the Maize Added Value Service - here you will see an overview with your maize fields marked.
- Select the damaged field and click on "Report damage" (see picture).
- Enter the date of the damage and the reason for the damage, optionally you can also leave a comment.
- Then click on "continue", after which you can report further damage or complete the damage report.
- Then inform us (KWS) how many units of which variety you need for reseeding.
- Report the reseeding in the Maize Added Value Service as soon as you have carried it out (no later than 5 days after sowing).
- Enter the following data for the reseeding of the field: Batch number, variety, quantity and sowing date.
- You must then upload the proof of purchase for the newly sown seed.