Growing with science
A program for business-oriented scientists
As a partner in agriculture, we make specific contributions to feeding the growing world population with our innovative plant varieties. Our focus is not on short-term success. Our goal is the development of sustainable and visionary solutions.
Our research and breeding programs develop competitive plant varieties for efficient and sustainable agriculture. Our work focuses on yield stability, product quality and the preservation of genetic resources. Rapidly advancing technological developments in the field of plant biotechnology have given rise to new developments of crop varieties with improved characteristics.
The Growing with Science program is an entry door for ambitious scientists who want to be part of KWS and have a vision on how the application of modern technologies could pave the way towards a world with more sustainable agriculture.
We are looking for people having a passion to develop and apply science combined with a strong interest in business strategy and leading others. The program consists of a 24-month limited contract with KWS Group: 12 months experiencing various research-driven areas and 12 months focusing on business-related areas such as strategy, business development or intellectual property. The 24-month program includes a 3 month assignment at KWS Gateway Research Center in St Louis, Missouri, USA.
During the program, the candidate will have a personalized development plan and be provided a senior executive as mentor who will follow the candidate's progress and make sure the program is fulfilling and beneficial for both KWS and the candidate.
I am interested in the program. How do I apply?
- Preferably PhD in Biology, Crop Science, Plant Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics or Biotechnology.
- Outstanding drive and desire to grow with a business based on scientific research.
- Strong interest in developing broader business knowledge.
- Fluent in English (mandatory). Other languages are an advantage.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Good analytical and project management skills.
- Experience working in teams and on complex projects.
The application process
In the context of KWS business we challenge you to work on a proposal that illustrates the ways you believe you can create value for KWS through the use or application of modern technologies.
We would like to receive a comprehensive but concise proposal (not more than two pages) describing the scientific concept, how and where you see the potential added value for KWS and a high-level plan around the implementation of your ideas. We will evaluate your strategic approach, your creativity, the uniqueness of your ideas and their applicability to KWS.
Together with the proposal, we ask you to submit your updated curriculum vitae.
What do we offer?
- An opportunity to explore and develop your personal skills in addition to scientific excellence
- A broad yet compact program that will allow you to explore and experience both commercial and research aspects of the business
- 24-month contract divided into 2 phases: 12 months in research and development and 12 months involving business strategy.
- A personalised development plan.
- Within the 24 months, a 3 month assignment in the USA.
- Mentorship by a KWS senior executive for the duration of the program.