Growing with science
A program for business-oriented scientists
As a partner in agriculture, we make specific contributions to feeding the growing world population with our innovative plant varieties. Our focus is not on short-term success. Our goal is the development of sustainable and visionary solutions.
Our research and breeding programs develop competitive plant varieties for efficient and sustainable agriculture. Our work focuses on yield stability, product quality and the preservation of genetic resources. Rapidly advancing technological developments in the field of plant biotechnology have given rise to new developments of crop varieties with improved characteristics.
The Growing with Science program is an entry door for ambitious scientists who want to be part of KWS and have a vision on how the application of modern technologies could pave the way towards a world with more sustainable agriculture.
We are looking for people having a passion to develop and apply science combined with a strong interest in business strategy and leading others. The program consists of a 24-month limited contract with KWS Group: 12 months experiencing various research-driven areas and 12 months focusing on business-related areas such as strategy, business development or intellectual property. The 24-month program includes a 3 month assignment at KWS Gateway Research Center in St Louis, Missouri, USA.
During the program, the candidate will have a personalized development plan and be provided a senior executive as mentor who will follow the candidate's progress and make sure the program is fulfilling and beneficial for both KWS and the candidate.
I am interested in the program. How do I apply?
Are you a good fit for our Growing with Science Program?
- You hold a PhD in Plant Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Breeding Technologies supported by a strong interest in business/leadership topics.
- You have no or minimal full-time work experience
- Passion for agricultural industry and business/leadership topics
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial thinking and strong sense of initiative
- Overseas experience i.e. study abroad, work abroad, internships, work & travel
- Extracurricular activities such as taking part in political or non-profit organization, active membership with a student club, leadership experience in a university/community/work setting and/or engagement in a project.
- Strong intercultural skills
- Fluent in English is mandatory, any additional languages would be an asset
- Ability to start the program as of September 2022
What you can look forward to
- As a family-run company we are guided by the values of closeness, reliability, foresight and independence - this culture is lived in practice creating thus an open and friendly working atmosphere.
- True to our motto “Make yourself grow”, we support employees’ professional and personal development.
- We offer excellent work equipment (e.g. mobile phone, ergonomic workstations, several monitors, air conditioning, high-end technical equipment, the newest laboratory equipment), a fully-fledged, subsidized canteen and sufficient free parking spaces at the KWS location.
- Additionally we offer an attractive remuneration package, 30 days holiday, mobile working possibilities, capital formation benefits, Christmas and holiday bonuses, childcare allowance and a job bike.
- An international, motivated and dynamic team present in 70 countries around the globe
What to expect during the 2-year program
An extensive onboarding training course:
- Get to know our brand values – closeness, foresight, independence and reliability
- Learn to think strategically, display leadership qualities, lead a project, make your own mark and communicate effectively
- Visit the KWS headquarters, R&D center, breeding station and production center
- Take part in field work to gain experience at thefront line
- Get trained on Franklin Covey’s “The 7 Habits of Highly EffectivePeople” that will help you adapt to change
- Periodically meet with your fellow students, exchange best practices, get to know KWS managers personally, take part in additional training courses and make contacts in exciting team projects.
- Pairing with experienced KWS employee whom will support your personal and professional development
Unser Graduate Program
The [onboarding] sessions were well organized. The facilitator/trainers were conversant on their topic & the discussions were quite interesting.