Growing with science
A program for business-oriented scientists
As a partner in agriculture, we make specific contributions to feeding the growing world population with our innovative plant varieties. Our focus is not on short-term success. Our goal is the development of sustainable and visionary solutions.
Our research and breeding programs develop competitive plant varieties for efficient and sustainable agriculture. Our work focuses on yield stability, product quality and the preservation of genetic resources. Rapidly advancing technological developments in the field of plant biotechnology have given rise to new developments of crop varieties with improved characteristics.
The Growing with Science program is an entry door for ambitious scientists who want to be part of KWS and have a vision on how the application of modern technologies could pave the way towards a world with more sustainable agriculture.
We are looking for people having a passion to develop and apply science combined with a strong interest in business strategy and leading others. The program consists of a 24-month limited contract with KWS Group: 12 months experiencing various research-driven areas and 12 months focusing on business-related areas such as strategy, business development or intellectual property. The 24-month program includes a 3 month assignment at KWS Gateway Research Center in St Louis, Missouri, USA.
During the program, the candidate will have a personalized development plan and be provided a senior executive as mentor who will follow the candidate's progress and make sure the program is fulfilling and beneficial for both KWS and the candidate.
I am interested in the program. How do I apply?
Are you a good fit for our Growing with Science Program?
- PhD in Biology, Plant Biology, Bio Chemistry, Bio Informatics, Biotechnology supported by a strong interest in business/leadership topics.
- No experience or maximum 1,5 years of full-time work experience
- Interest in the agricultural industry and business/leadership topics
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial thinking and strong sense of initiative
- Overseas experience i.e. study abroad, work abroad, internships, work & travel
- Extracurricular activities such as taking part in political or non-profit organization, active membership with a student club, leadership experience in a university/community/work setting and/or engagement in a project.
- Strong intercultural skills
- Fluent in English is mandatory, any additional languages would be an asset
- Start of program September 2021
What you can look forward to
- Attractive remuneration package
- 30 days of holiday
- Payments for holiday and Christmas
- An international, motivated and dynamic team present in 70 countries around the globe
- Family-owned company guided by the values of closeness, reliability, independence & foresight;
- This culture is lived in practice creating an open and friendly working atmosphere from day one.
What to expect during the 2-year program
4-week onboarding training course:
- Get to know our brand values – closeness, foresight, independence and reliability
- Learn to think strategically, display leadership qualities, lead a project, make your own mark and integrate design thinking
- Visit the KWS headquarters as well as a hub, R&D center, breeding station and production center
- Take part in field work to gain experience at thefront line
- Franklin Covey’s “The 7 Habits of Highly EffectivePeople” that will help you adapt to change
- Periodically meet with your fellow students, exchange best practices, get to know KWS managers personally, take part in additional training courses and make contacts in exciting team projects.
- Pairing with experienced KWS employee whom will support your personal and professional development